PortalForum Q&A Section General Information Michelin XDE M/S

Summer Seminar Information

Michelin XDE M/S

General Q & A

Post 08 May 2009, 06:21
rickcrowe User avatar

[code][/code]
I have had two type D transit buses that have had SEVERE vibration at 40+ MPH. It felt like tire balance but the steering wheel didn't shake like a front wheel out-of-balance. The rear tires were Michelin XDE M/S with less then 10,000 miles. In the ten years as being head mechanic, I have never had to change rear tires for a vibration, and I never have had drives balanced. We usually use Goodyear G164.
That changed in the last month, I have had these to buses vibrate and shake so bad, I finally swapped out rears, vibration was gone.
I am presently dealing with the Michelin District Rep to get to the bottom of this. Also, I am experiencing severe heel to toe chopping wear pattern on these XDE's. Has anyone else had any trouble with these Michelin drive tires?

Rick Crowe
Head Mechanic
WPCSD

Post 11 May 2009, 06:01

Does the bus in question have air ride suspension? Have discovered the air ride causes faster wear pattern on this type of tire. Causing a lot of vibration at the speed you mention. Have found that these tires only last for about 13,000 to 15,000 miles at best. Hope this helps.
Wade Tomlinson
Mechanic
Cincinnatus Central School

Post 11 May 2009, 14:05
rickcrowe User avatar

Yes, the two vehicles in question both have air ride. So much for a better tire. I get 25,000 to 30,000 miles with Goodyear G164's.

Return to General Information