PortalForum Q&A Section DOT Information and Questions A, B, and C defects found during services

Summer Seminar Information

A, B, and C defects found during services

Discuss NYS DOT Regulations

Here is something of interest that was sent to me from Rusty Seastrum of DOT. Take a look!!

Question;

When I find a "c" defect on a bus during normal maintenance, how long before it needs to be fixed? I was under the impression it was 15 service days. I was recently informed that it didn't need to be fixed until an inspector found it.

Answer;

The operator or its representative has no lesser ability to treat safety defects than does the NYSDOT inspector.

As you know there are four classifications of defects in the NYSDOT out-of-service criteria. The "A" defect is considered to be the most serious in regard to causing or contributing to the seriousness of an accident. The "B" defect must be repaired before the vehicle is returned to service because it is likely to cause injury in one way or another almost immediately. The "C" defect is classified as the least serious because it likely will not cause injury as imminently as a "B" defect, yet is still a safety defect. This is spelled out in Part 720.11 (K).

The NYSDOT regulation, Part 721.1 (B), requires bus operators to perform periodic inspections. Part 721.1 (B) (3) states that all necessary safety defects found during the periodic inspections must be repaired before the vehicle is returned to service. Your question goes to what is a serious safety defect. The seriousness is based on the same criteria by which the defect is classified in the out-of-service criteria. Therefore, if on the periodic inspection you find a "C" defect then you have 15 days to schedule the defect for repair. If it is not repaired within the 15 days then the responsible party could be held accountable under the regulation Part 721.1 (B) (3).

Any operator who doesn't repair a "C" defect within the 15 day window is doing a serious disservice to the passengers and driver who ride on the vehicle. Additionally, that person is significantly increasing the cost of operation of the vehicle because the defect does not heal itself and will eventually became much more costly to repair.

Rusty Seastrum
Chief Technician
Rusty.Seastrum@dot.ny.gov
phone 518-485-2449
fax 518-457-4637
http://www.dot.ny.gov

NYS DOT
Passenger Carrier Safety Bureau; POD 53
50 Wolf Road
Albany, New York 12232
Jason Johnson

Return to DOT Information and Questions